Arguably the best movie ever made, “Casablanca” is a classic on many levels. The story of Rick Blaine, played by Humphrey Bogart, and Ilsa Lund, played by Ingrid Bergman, is one of the most memorable in film history.
And of course, the quotes from the movie are just as memorable. So, whether you are a fan of this classic movie or not, I’m sure you will find these 30 memorable Casablanca movie quotes to be quite interesting.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase or book through one of our links we may earn a small commission (don’t worry, it’s at no extra cost to you).
You may also like:
- 99 Solo Travel Quotes to Inspire Lonely Travelers
- 101 Inspirational Travel Quotes To Inspire Your 2022 Travels
- 101 Food Quotes That Will Get You Hungry
- Morocco Quotes: 30 Inspiring Quotes & Instagram Captions
Why was the movie named after Casablanca?
As exotic as the city of Casablanca is, the movie was actually filmed in Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California, and never in Morocco. The story however, is set in the Vichy-controlled Moroccan city of Casablanca during World War II.
The movie is about a story of love and sacrifice during a time of war. Rick Blaine, an American expatriate who owns the Café Americain in Casablanca, is reluctantly drawn into the conflict when Ilsa, the former love of his life, and her husband, Victor Laszlo, a Czech Resistance leader, show up at his café seeking exit visas to America.
“Casablanca” was released in 1942 and quickly became a classic. The movie was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won three, including Best Picture.
Note: There are some spoilers ahead!
Casablanca Quotes said by Rick Blaine
- “Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World, She Walks Into Mine.”— Rick Blaine
- “I’m the only cause I’m interested in.” — Rick Blaine
- “We’ll always have Paris. We didn’t have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.” — Rick Blaine
- “Are my eyes really brown?” — Rick Blaine
- 2. “Here’s looking at you, kid.” — Rick Blaine
- “I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Friendship.” — Rick Blaine
- “She isn’t just ‘any woman.’” — Rick Blaine
- “We’ll always have Paris.” — Rick Blaine
- “It’s funny about your voice, how it hasn’t changed. I can still hear it. “Richard, dear, I’ll go with you anyplace. We’ll get on a train together and never stop.” — Rick Blaine
- Yvonne: “Where were you last night?” Rick Blaine: “That’s so long ago, I don’t remember.” Yvonne: “Will I see you tonight?” Rick Blaine: “I never make plans that far ahead.”
- Ugarte: “You despise me, don’t you?” Rick Blaine: “If I gave you any thought, I probably would.”
- “I stick my neck out for nobody.” — Rick Blaine
- “When it comes to women, you’re a true democrat.” — Rick Blaine
- “It’s still the same old story/ A fight for love and glory”
- “You know how you sound? Like a man who’s trying to convince himself of something he doesn’t believe in his heart.”
- “What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?” Rick Blaine: “My health, I came to Casablanca for the waters.” “The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.” Rick Blaine:“I was misinformed.”
- “Are you sure this place is honest?” “Honest as the day is long!“
- Rick Blaine: “We both know you belong with Victor. You’re part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you’re not with him, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.” —
- “You have any idea what you’d have to look forward to if you stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we’d both wind up in a concentration camp.” — Rick Blaine
- Strasser: What is your nationality? Rick Blaine: I’m a drunkard.
- Rick: Ilsa, I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that.
Casablanca Quotes said by Ilsa Lund
- “Richard, we loved each other once. If those days meant anything at all to you…” — Ilsa Lund
- “With the whole world crumbling, we pick this time to fall in love.” — Ilsa Lund
- “You’re saying this only to make me go.” — Ilsa Lund
- “I didn’t count the days.”— Ilsa Lund
- “Yes. I put that dress away. When the Germans march out, I’ll wear it again.”— Ilsa Lund
- “I can’t fight it anymore. I ran away from you once. I can’t do it again. I don’t know what’s right any longer. You have to think for both of us. For all of us. I wish I didn’t love you so much.” — Ilsa Lund
Casablanca quotes from other characters
- Victor Laszlo: “If we stop breathing, we’ll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.”
- Captain Renault: How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce.
Have you watched the Casablanca movie? Which of these is your favorite quote and why?
Was this post useful? Support us by sharing it on Pinterest and other social media platforms!