You have probably recently heard about Moroccan beauty products? Morocco is one of those unassumingly well-known countries for its natural and organic beauty products. Moroccan skincare and haircare products are considered an ancient African heritage that goes back centuries.
For a long time, these Moroccan gems have remained largely unknown to the outside world. Until now, that is. Here are some of our best-kept beauty secrets. Make sure to get these 10 Moroccan Beauty products to Enhance Your Self-Care game:
In This Post
- 1 Argan oil
- 2 How to use Argan oil?
- 3 Moroccan Ghassoul (Rhassol) clay
- 4 Beldi soap, aka Moroccan Black soap
- 5 The Kessa Glove
Moroccan Argan oil is an awesome ingredient you should have at home. Argan oil is packed with all the good stuff that helps your skin and hair at the same time. This magical ingredient has been used for generations in Morocco. It is used for both cooking and cosmetic purposes. Moroccan women apply organic Argan oil on their skin and hair to repair and protect.
Why Moroccan Argan oil should be an important part of your skin routine
1) Argan oil contains antioxidants which help brighten your skin tone and repair damages such as acne and early signs of aging
2) Argan oil is fine to use on a regular basis except for people showing signs of sensitive skin. They should limit usage to once a week
3) Argan oil can moisturize your hair and scalp and protect your hair from everyday damage
4) argan oil may help prevent hair loss for thicker, fuller hair
How to use Argan oil?
Argan oil hair mask: If you want to improve your hair and scalp health, apply a weekly Argan oil mask. All you have to do is put a few drops of Argan oil on your hair and scalp, massage it using your fingertips for about 5 minutes. Wrap your hair in a headcover and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash your hair and repeat this at least once in 2 weeks
Argan oil face mask: You can use Argan oil for your face and skin as well. Apply a few drops and massage your face and neck nicely, leave for about 1 hour and wash it with warm water. You can use argan oil on its own or you can combine it with other nourishing ingredients like Almond oil or Sesame oil.
Moroccan Rose water
Moroccan rose is one of the essential beauty products that has been used in North African and Middle-eastern countries for decades. The Moroccan native ingredient is used to treat the skin from acne and acne scars, and also used to prevent acne on the skin.
Moroccan rose water and its benefits:
1) Rosewater is a natural mild antiseptic and is recommended for acne and skin irritation
2) Rose water is used for nourishing and hydrating the skin and face
3) It is used for nourishing the body after a shower or bath
4) It can serve as a makeup remover as well as an anti-aging serum
How to use rose water and oil?
You can either spray it on a cotton pad and gently dabbing it on the affected area or spraying it directly onto the skin. You can also use rose water to make masks.
Moroccan Ghassoul (Rhassol) clay
Ghassoul clay is a type of clay in the Atlas Mountain Valley of Morocco. Ghassoul clay is used as a cosmetic product for hair and skin. This beauty ingredient is magnesium-rich and it contains other minerals too. The Moroccan Ghassoul clay is used as a detoxifier for skin and hair. It can be applied as a mask by mixing Ghassoul powder with water, Rose Water, or essential oils.
What should we use Moroccan Rhassoul clay for?
1) Ghassoul clay helps fight acne, cleanse impurities, and improve skin elasticity.
2) Ghassoul clay can help Eliminate toxic substances to which the skin is exposed.
3) It naturally contains silica that can work as an exfoliant, and also gives hair a glossy shine
4) Ghassoul clay can cleanse impurities from the scalp as well as excess oil
5) The exfoliating and conditioning properties of Ghassoul clay could work to condition hair and give it volume.
6) The saponin content in Ghassoul clay makes it a good shampoo alternative
How to use Ghassoul clay ?
Ghassoul clay is used for body and face masks. Use Rose water to make a Ghassoul face and body masks, apply for a few minutes and when it dries then wash off with warm water. For well-hidrated skin add a few drops of Argan oil.
Beldi soap, aka Moroccan Black soap
Moroccan women use Beldi soap as a part of their weekly Hammam (Steam Bath) ritual. The Beldi soap is applied to the skin for 30 minutes to 1 hour to prepare it for the cleansing and exfoliating step. Moroccan locals use a washcloth called ‘’Kessa’’ to exfoliate. This combination of the black soap and the ‘’Kessa’’ helps remove dead skin, smooth and purify the skin.
The Moroccan Black soap is made from 100% virgin black olives and can be bought with enriched ingredients such as essential oils, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, or Peppermint.
Why should we include Moroccan Beldi soap in our steam bath?
1) Moroccan Black Soap is rich in Vitamin E which helps in purifying and moisturizing the skin with its antibacterial properties
2) It can also help fight against skin irritation
3) The Black soap is suitable for all skin types, especially dry ones
How to use the black soap?
Wrap your body with a handful of Black soap and wait for 15 minutes before washing it off. I recommend that you use the Black soap in a Moroccan way, which means, you only use it if you are planning to have a scrub using a Kessa Glove. The Black soap is not used as a body mask in Morocco but used to prepare the skin for a scrub.
Moroccan Henna is a beauty ingredient derived from a plant that grows in Morocco and other Mediterranean countries. Henna is more like a tradition used in all Moroccan celebrations such as marriages, baby showers “Sboue”, and religious occasions like “Eid”.
As a form of joyous celebrations, locals use the Henna paste mix to draw beautiful designs of flowers and lines on their hands and feet. Henna is used also as an essential beauty product in Hammams for both hair and skin.
Moroccan henna benefits
1) Henna masks leave the skin soft and clean
2) Moroccan Henna is used to strengthen the hair and give it a shiny look
3) In Morocco, henna is used to dye the hair for a lovely red color or sometimes to just cover the little white hairs.
How to use Moroccan Henna?
Henna hair Mask: Mix the green fine powder with water, add some extra virgin oils such as Argan or olive oil, mix until you get a homogenous blend. Apply on your hair and leave it to soak for 1 to 2 hours. Then wash nicely with warm water.
Henna body mask: Henna body mask is recommended before a steam bath. Add Rosewater, a few drops of Argan oil to the Henna powder. Mix the ingredients to get a mask texture blend. Apply on your body for NOT MORE than 10 mins as Henna can color your body if you leave it for too long. Then wash with warm water
Note: Don’t use on your face
Aker El Fassi, aka Amazighi Tint
Aker Fassi is another unique historical beauty ingredient. If you check the makeup box of every Moroccan woman, you will probably find a little container with red powder. It is traditionally used as a lipstick or blush. The Amazigh red tint is made from poppy flower petals which is known for its moisturizing and softening properties.
The Aker Fassi comes in a powder form that can be used in masks along with Henna and Rose water or used as an organic makeup product applied directly on the lips or cheeks for lovely pink color.
Why should I use the Moroccan Aker Fassi?
1) Aker Fassi is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, and alkaloids.
2) It softens and brightens the skin when used in masks
3) Poppy flowers contain active ingredients that can help with aging and wrinkles
How to use Aker Elfassi?
Aker Fassi for lip care: The Aker Fassi can be applied on the lip by mixing it with Vaseline. It will nourish, protect, and replace your expensive lipstick.
Aker Fassi for skincare: When mixed with Ghassoul clay, Aker Fassi helps brighten and soften the skin. It can be also applied to the face.
The Kessa Glove
Morocco’s Kessa is a scrubbing glove and the secret to smooth and healthy skin. Kessa Glove is used during our Moroccan Hammam rituals to remove the dead skin and regain the body’s glow. Moroccan women usually prepare a steamed bath once a week and use the Kessa Glove to scrub the whole body after applying the Beldi soap. Why you should start using Kessa glove scrub?
How to use the Moroccan Kessa Glove?
Prepare your bath with steam, apply enough Black soap to cover your whole body. Wait for 15 to 30 minutes allowing your skin to absorb the ingredients in the Black soap. Then start Buffing the Kessa Glove in circular motions to exfoliate and soften. The Kessa glove is not recommended for the face.